Community Environmental Education & Outreach
Beaver Creek Resort has focused greatly on environmental education. Our approach to education is as follows:
• Education is the cornerstone to environmental stewardship, as the internal community
of employees must understand all objectives and initiatives.
• Environmental education is a continuous learning process where we become aware
of our environment, the values, skills, and knowledge necessary to protect our
environment, and implement behavioral changes that in the long run improve our
quality of life.
• Our environmental community relationship sets the tone for all sustainability of the
ski industry. Educating and communicating with the local, state, and national
community is the key to success.
• Children learn and retain conservation principles in school environments and transfer their
knowledge to their parents.
• Our summer/winter guests' perception of our environmental stewardship of the public lands
we are entrusted with is the final key to success.
Our environmental education philosophy has benefited our community in a variety of ways. Each year the Environmental Coordinator engages with local school children through various programs. The programs are initiated with three general objectives in mind:
1. To educate students on what our resort is doing to keep sustainability a central focus
in our business decisions and operations.
2. To educate students on some things they can do as individuals and as families to help protect the earth.
3. To help the students understand what their environmental concerns are as they are our future
Some examples of our community environmental education outreach activities include: planting trees with school children as an Earth Day activity along with a wildlife habitat discussion, giving out reusable shopping bags to students and talking with them about the positive and negative impacts our decisions can have on the environment, an energy conservation seminar where the students receive a free energy saving light bulb for their participation, and our most popular event, the Raptor school visits. Through partnering with the Raptor Education Foundation, Beaver Creek brings live birds of prey, into the classrooms.